Friday, November 21, 2014

Hubby, my biggest cheerleader

While posting prose and poems from The Fridge Magnet Chronicles, I guess I should throw in a little story about hubby David who is my biggest cheerleader when I'm feeling like a no talent hack. He's a writer too, in fact way more prolific at it than me who's been writing since I was 11. Of course he has me as his in house editor and typist. Anyhow enough intro, here's a funny one I'm sharing.

The Rejection Slip

It was a rejection slip for heavens sake! Although a very eloquent rejection slip, to be sure. Signed by a man named Howard and one handwritten word :"Onward!"

The original submissions were attached to a copy of the entry rules. Highlighted were the words, "please enclose a self addressed, stamped envelope to receive confirmation of manuscript arrival at our magazine."

The directions for submission hadn't even been followed correctly but Howard had thought enough of The Place and Fire Season to send a personal response. It made one wonder if all new aspiring writers were treated this well.

Oh come on Howard, don't sugar coat it, a rejection slip is about being rejected. But there is a bit of giddiness over acknowledgment from an editor, even one from XYZ magazine.

So all I can do is laugh at my husband grinning from ear to ear and dancing around with his rejection slip. We should write Howard a thank you note.

No comments:

Post a Comment