Saturday, November 15, 2014

Fairy Circle

Our family has always embraced the idea of woodland sprites and other forest type mythical creatures so tonight I'm going to envision a healing fairy circle for my nephew Andrew while he recovers the use of his arms after an accident that fractured and tore up his elbows. Hey Andy, close your eyes and I'll send out some good forest energy to help you get back to your regular self. Your auntie and uncle and cousin are here for you. In the meantime here's a story I'll share of one time at our family cabin and our encounter with the pixie realm.

"The fairies come at twilight so we have to hurry." I tell my five year old son.

We had been searching along the creek bed for acorn tops, pebbles and all sorts of other items to arrange around the pocket mirror brought from home. I was hoping to recreate something from my childhood when my mother would make a circle near the shoreline, telling stories about mythical woodland creatures. It was our last night in the forest of redwoods with the sun setting beyond the ridge line. Time for the incantation.

"Oberon and all fairy minions, we leave a lovely fairy circle in gratitude of our restful days of babbling brook, lulling breezes and stunning starry nights. To the full moon, dance sprite and pixie in delight of the ether world."

"Mom, will the fairies know we are here if we hide out somewhere? I really want to watch their party."

Hurrah! I had convinced him fairies were real! Now to make sure my curious boy didn't sneak back to the creek so he could spy on the fairy circle. I was a big believer that you don't crash a party of mythical woodland creatures or they would never trust you again.

"Sorry little man, part of setting up the circle is to show our reverence to them and that way whenever we come back here we know our space has been under the protection of all the mythical woodland creatures. We must leave them to have their party in private."

A bit of pouty lip showed on his face when he turned to nod his head in agreement with me. We heard a shout as we trudged up the bank, dad came into sight waving his hot dog stick. Time for our final forest celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment