Thursday, February 14, 2013

Highway hypnosis part 2

Got out the postcards from the trip across country and truly don't think I saw most of the scenery pictured on them. I do remember bits of the Great Smoky Mountains. It was later in the day and I was in heaven even with knowing what was ahead of me for the next several days. We had left Chesapeake around 9a.m. and for the first leg of the trip I got to ride in the uhaul truck with my boy. I hadn't seen him in over a year and even though his wife knew it would be a long separation she was so sweet to offer me the passenger seat with Dan while she rode with someone else in the Gann girl convoy. That day took us on some highway out of Virginia, I think through a part of N. Carolina and then into Tennessee. The weather wasn't bad until we were over the mountains and then it poured rain so bad that we saw at least one accident from someone who was probably going too fast and hydroplaned off the road. So as I said I got to spend hours talking and laughing and hearing all about Dan's Navy world and he and Tiff's future plans. Won't spoil with spilling that information, haha! We expected to arrive in Memphis at a decent hour since Matt kept our moral up by saying it was only another hour or so away, we finally arrived at Debbie and Bill's at 1 a.m. But then I got a taste of what it means when people talk about southern hospitality. Bill had to stand at his gate in the pouring rain helping get our 4 vehicles one being a huge uhaul, then 8 of us and Juno the dog trooped into their warm and welcoming home to have genuine Tennessee bbq sandwiches with all the fixins' and beds made up in rooms throughout the house. I finally fell asleep and don't even think I dreamed, road weariness got to me. We would say goodbye to the sailors the next day and be on our way to Arkansas for a visit with the girl's transplanted Aunt and Uncle. Off to tornado alley! To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment