Sunday, February 5, 2012

What February means to me...

I sit here ruminating about the shortest month of the year looking out through the kitty pawed dirty sliding glass door to the bright winter sunlight reflecting on what February means to me. Ten years ago I was angry at February as my dad hung in comatose from the last fight against his cancer. Valentines Day brought me the news that he was gone and until recently I didn't want flowers or candy, I wanted my dad back. This year on the 10th anniversary of his passing my mom wants my sister and me to write something about a memory with dad so she can scrapbook it. Mine will be a fish tale of 21 year old daughter getting the first bite while the seasoned old fisherman watches as his hook just bobs about in the water. Five years ago I was also angry at February while I watched the decades old relationship with hubby waiver between the end or a new beginning. I now post the miscelaneous ramblings of a suburban kind of guy on his facebook page for him, guess that means we got through the rough patch huh. So the February that used to make me angry has now mellowed over the years, kind of like I have. This February actually is making me very happy with the publication of Healdsburg Alive, poetry and prose of some talented local authors including yours truly (ok and the husband). So I wish you a splendid February. What could only have made it a better February is if today while enjoying the company of friends we could be cheering to the 49ers on Super Bowl Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment